Triple-Chocolate Chunk Paleo Brownies

In case you haven’t noticed, I’m not big on dessert. I don’t have a sweet tooth and paleo desserts still somewhat elude me. This week I am experimenting with them and while I’m kind of getting the hang of it, it’s still a completely different animal.

Having said that, while I love me some paleo desserts and feel they’re a great way for people with major intolerances and intestinal issues to enjoy sweets, I believe a treat is a treat paleo or not. I don’t eat refined sugar on any regular basis on principal. I don’t think we are made for that kind of sugar consumption. But neither are we made for the consumption of honey and almond-butter heavy desserts on a regular basis. In fact, I get way more gastrointestinal issues eating nuts than grains. SO having saying that, this is a treat. A lovely one you should indulge in in moderation. As with everything. I will now step off the soapbox.

My sweet cravings come in few forms. I crave banana nutella fiteer (a buttery, doughy, pastry) from this one place that delivers straight to our door (dangerous). Then I crave frozen yogurt. Then coffee ice cream. Then biscotti. Then chocolate chip cookies. Then brownies. Yes, all one after the other. Sugar cravings hit hard when they do, yo.

IMG_6863
But this was not the first paleo brownie I ever made. The first was heavy on almond butter, which had the perfect fudgy texture, but the taste was, eh. Fine. Not chocolatey enough. But we ate the whole darn thing anyway and loved every second of it.

So with this batch I went very old-school-flourless-cake-style on them, and while the taste was SPOT FREAKING ON, the texture wasn’t my favorite. I like a stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth brownie. This was a decadent somewhere between cake and fudge brownie. Just a matter of taste.

IMG_6860

Please ignore the odd oval-shaped pan, my square pan is at my mother’s house, lost in the depths of her pan collection.

The best thing about these is that they don’t contain TOO much almond butter, so if you want to make a small batch of homemade almond butter, you can. If you DO want to make your own almond butter (which I always do), you can check out this awesome post on how to make it raw or roasted. I always roast my almonds at 160C for 10-12 minutes before I make almond butter but raw will work here too.

These were adapted from a recipe by Clean Eating With A Dirty Mind, who is basically the queen of paleo desserts, in my humble opinion. Her recipe was for mint-chocolate brownies so I removed the mint, added some sea salt and made some tiny adjustments for this version.

I have found that the taste and texture improves ridiculously the next day. So they go from amazing to holy crap in about 8 hours sitting on the counter in an air-tight container.

Triple-Chocolate Chunk Paleo Brownies

85g dark chocolate, at least 60%
115g butter (or coconut oil)
3 eggs
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup maple syrup (or more honey)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of dark chocolate, chopped into chunks

1. Preheat oven to 175C and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment.
2. In a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water, melt together the butter and chocolate, let cool slightly.
3. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Whisk in the almond butter, honey, maple syrup and vanilla.
5. Fold in the cocoa powder then the chocolate chunks.
6. Pour the batter into the baking dish and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until a skewer comes out just clean. Let cool completely before slicing. These improve dramatically the next day.

Comments

1. Michele says:

Ok, #1. These look crazy amazing, #2. 85 gm and 115 gm, what the freak? How much is that in American measuring cups? LOL, I will convert it, just kidding! And C. Where the heck is your PIN IT button?! Love your site! I want to come visit and pick your brain! Love some steak, full of sass, and chocolate Paleo sh*t is the bomb! P.S., go like my page @Pale Leo on FB!

• Michele says:

P.P.S. or P.S.S. or whatever, I am making this tomorrow , it’s bedtime in GA, USA. Thinking of maybe putting a little caramel sauce and some sea salt on top of these puppies!

• Holy crap that sounds amazing. Paleo caramel?! You have to link me.

Also you cracked me up at the grams. I’m sorry, I’ll put up the conversions. Everything we get in Egypt is all in grams.

I’ll be adding a pin it option soon! Thanks for stopping by and I’ll be heading to your FB page nao.

• I’m thinking of making this for an upcoming potluck and want to make sure I’ve got the conversions right. I’m hoping to “trick” everyone into eating something Paleo and loving it!! ;)
          Does 3oz of chocolate and 1/2 a cup of butter sound right to any other Americans out there?
          Baking at 350F seems to make sense to me but let me know if anyone has had good results with another temp.
          THANKS!!

• That’s exactly right :) I convert it because the majority of my readers are local to me and American measurements don’t make sense to them!

2. Darleena says:

Oh my goodness!! I made these tonight for my husband as a birthday brownie, hes not much of a cake guy. :) and its so nice to have a fudgey brownie again. These were so awesome. Tho I did swap out coconut oil for the butter, being lactose intolerant and they still turned out yummy!! I also added chucks of chocolate on the top. :) nice empty chocolatey goodness. Thanks for the wicked recipe. I will be making these often!!

• I’m so thrilled to hear that Darleena! I too prefer coconut oil to butter in this recipe after having tried it out a second time now, but they both work! The chunks on top sound ridiculously good. I’d love to see a picture of those! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a note!

3. I’m making them tonight!

4. These were soo delicious! The only thing that would’ve made them better would have been nuts. I didn’t think about adding nuts until after I baked them. They will be added next time though. Great recipe!

• You’re absolutely right, nuts would have been PERFECT! I didn’t even think haha. I’m glad you liked them!

5. WOW these look crazy good.
    I have recently started a paleo lifestyle, and do suffer a sweet tooth sometimes… especially last night when my mom made brownies and I was practically drooling over the smell… can’t wait to try these!

6. Jweickum says:

I followed the directions right, but mine have been in the over for over 40 minutes and nothing has happened. No rising, or even cooking for that matter.

7. Jweickum says:

So i realized that you put 175c for celcius. So I turned up the oven and cooked them. They were cooked but they all just crumbled. Any guesses why? It tastes great, but doesn’t seem to stick together.

• It’s probably because you started them at a very low 175F then turned it up that they didn’t quite cook properly. It’s an egg-based rise so temp will affect cooking. Sorry they didn’t turn out the way you wanted!

8. I love brownies! and I can not wait to try this recipe!.

9. SO GOOD. I made these tonight, after being on paleo for a few months. I have quite the sweet tooth so I have tried a small handful of paleo desserts from the internet. My only hangup about this recipe is that it’s probably one of the *least* paleo-ified recipes I’ve tried. In addition to using butter (I understand you can switch out for coconut oil) which is controversial for paleo followers – this recipe uses more sweetener than most paleo recipes (1/2 a cup of sweetener (honey/maple) in addition to the sugar that’s already in the chocolate being used) whereas most paleo eaters try to sweeten with fruit/dates/sweet potatoes/etc.
    …….
    Having said that – they’re ABSOLUTELY freakin’ delicious. Just as good as “normal” brownies. Very very fudgy. They remind me of a flourless chocolate torte (and actually follow a very similar recipe-style, except for the nut butter). I baked mine for 28 minutes and they’re perfectly baked through, but not dry.

These are a home-run, but definitely a once-in-a-while treat. Good enough for a dinner party or celebration, for sure. Make sure to use a dark dark chocolate, because there’s already enough sugar in the recipe.

10. Stefani AuBuchon says:

These look amazing! I’m trying to figure out the amount of chocolate, though – I see 85 grams and then 1/2 cup – do I use both? I’m really confused. Must be brain dead after a long week…. I’d appreciate any help.

• It’s 85g of chocolate for melting and then really any amount of chocolate chunks or chips to fold in the batter. Half a cup just seemed to make more sense for volume for anyone wanting to use chips.

11. Sam Baldwin says:

So have you ever heard of jaggery? It is like unprocessed sugarcane and basically like real brown sugar, and it still contains some minerals and I think vitamins? At any rate it is the closest thing to real sugar and could probably be used as caramel! Pure Indian Foods makes it :)

12. I tried this recipe tonight! I loved them and my little girl thought they were so yummy! What kind of chocolate did you use a “chunks?” was it the same as the kind you melted? Also, we added walnuts to the batter before baking!!! Thanks for the recipe!!

• I used the same as the one I melted. I believe it was an organic Madagascan chocolate I got at whole foods, it’s my favorite. But I’ve also made this with plain ole Lindt. Works like a charm. So happy you and your little one enjoyed them!

13. Can you fix the directions to add vanilla in step 4 & take out the cocoa powder in that step?

14. CrazyItalianLady says:

I just made these after waffling between another brownie recipe and really liked how this one most resembled a “real” brownie recipe. The only thing is my top doesn’t have that texture as shown in your picture. I followed the recipe any suggestions? I didn’t have parchment paper so just placed in baking dish.

15. Karla Edith says:

Incredibly chocolaty and delicious!! I added a blueberry raspberry sauce on top that added a great contrasting flavor. I also added walnuts to the brownie mix. It was absolutely delicious thank you soooo much for the recipe!!!!!! I will definitely be making this again.

16. these. are. so. good!!! I divided the batter into a muffin tin to make 10 mini brownie cupcakes.(took about 18 mins) used paleo chocolate hazelnut spread as icing. SO YUM!.. these are also fantastic with raspberries and a little honey heated over the stove to make raspberry coulis/sauce. thanks for the wicked brownie recipe girl!

17. Oh man you’ve given me so many great ideas and now I must make them all. TO THE BATCAVE!

Trackbacks

1. [...] 8. Triple-Chocolate Chunk Paleo Brownies The only thing better than chocolate is three times as much of it. Here they’re using two different types, and plenty enough of it to make this a chocolate treat for you while not taking you off course. They’re using a mix of almond butter and other ingredients to give these the proper texture and taste, so you won’t be missing the flour. They also include chunks of chocolate, so you won’t be eating them and wondering where the chocolate is. This one should be bookmarked by all chocolate lovers out there doing Paleo. [...]

2. [...] 8. Triple-Chocolate Chunk Paleo Brownies The only thing better than chocolate is three times as much of it. Here they’re using two different types, and plenty enough of it to make this a chocolate treat for you while not taking you off course. They’re using a mix of almond butter and other ingredients to give these the proper texture and taste, so you won’t be missing the flour. They also include chunks of chocolate, so you won’t be eating them and wondering where the chocolate is. This one should be bookmarked by all chocolate lovers out there doing Paleo. [...]

3. […] Triple-Chocolate Chunk Paleo Brownies <– brownie recipe. I skipped the last ingredient (chopped chocolate bar) because I didn't want to use up all my chocolate but I think next time I make these I'll include it. Lady next to me had penne vodka, stuffed manicotti, and bread w butter for lunch. The buffet selection is really good here, so it's sad. She also was obnoxious to me for no reason just before lunch (yanked my training materials away from me claiming I took hers and then almost cried when I pointed to my notes and hers sitting under another stack of papers and called me a jerk) – can we say unstable mood bc blood sugar dropped? I'm so glad that doesn't happen to me anymore. I might write the website on a napkin and tuck it in her coat pocket while she isn't looking. Lunch was great, roast beef, chicken with mushrooms, steamed carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini, and a salad. I napped a few packs of butter (real butter. I checked) and put it on my beef and veggies. Yum. Finished with a bit of pineapple and I'm ready for the rest of the day. image.jpg I've been thing about my fitness goal, still waiting to hear from you lovely people but I'm thinking of limiting carbs (I don't really at this point) and making sure to Lift Heavy Things three times a week. I feel like that would make a difference in my shape but I'm still new to all this and welcome suggestions. I'm really just in it for the butter Reply With Quote […]